Cubing and Dimensioning Systems
Cubing systems are used to automatically capture dimensions of boxes, bags, packages, and even irregular or non-cuboidal shapes. This process is particularly important for carrier compliance and legal for trade applications. Many UPS and FedEx services as well as most international carriers require dimensional weight calculations on certain types of shipments. Parcels that measure over limitations set by carriers cost more to ship due to dimensional weight factors.
Starting in January 2015 all FedEx and UPS shipments now require dimensional weight (DIM) calculations. The standard formula uses 166 as the divisor. If your LxWxH/166 is greater than the weight, you will be charged based on DIM. Note that some shippers may have a different factor than 166. Learn more about how DIM factor effects your operation.
QMI Services has vast experience with installing hundreds of in-motion dimensioning and cubing systems worldwide. Systems include a wide range of standardized products as well as options for conveyor, weighing, scanning, and labeling as part of a total solution.
- Receiving and slotting. Receive and update SKU data to a WMS in real time.
- Automated carton selection. In-motion cubers send dimensions of products from the picking operation to automatically select the correct shipping carton to be formed. This is typically used in conjunction with a random or and on demand case former.
- Shipping manifest. As part of a total in motion manifest solution, our systems provide data to capture carton ID, weight, and cubical dimensions for every shipment.
- On-demand packaging. Utilizing CubiScan dimensional data to create boxes for a specific order/bundle.
- Shipping rate assessment. Real-time dimensional weight factor for static and in-motion systems.
- Cargo freight forwarding. International carriers must scan, weigh, and dimension most freight. QMI Services provides systems for all cargo manifest needs.
Static Cubing Systems
Many applications require a static cubing system for individual products and cartons. CubiScan has 25+ years in the cubing and weighing industry. These systems are perfect for inbound product cubing at the case and product level, even irregular and noncuboidal shapes may be dimensioned. Please visit CubiScan.com for more information about static applications.
Integrated Cubing Systems
Motion based cubing and dimensioning systems are utilized for higher velocity applications where existing or new conveyor based operations will be utilized. QMI Services provides both semi-automated and fully automated systems which deliver precision and solid ROI versus manual processes.